CODE OF CONDUCT
At Bull City Swingout, we want everyone to have a good time. All attendees, staff, speakers, sponsors and volunteers at our conference are required to agree with the following code of conduct. We expect cooperation from all participants to help ensure a safe environment for everybody.
TRIANGLE SWING DANCE SOCIETY CODE OF CONDUCT
Swing dancing can involve one-on-one interactions with a lot of different people. Like in many other hobby communities, you may need to stand up for yourself against (or report) inappropriate behavior from others, possibly even from teachers or more-experienced dancers. TSDS wants you to know about some rights and expectations.
In order to make our events a success, we have the following expectations for attendees:
- Behave like a responsible human adult. Follow the directions of our organizers and volunteers, and observe civil standards of etiquette.
- Ultimately, everyone has the right to turn down a request to dance, or quit in the middle of a song without explanation. If that happens to you, graciously move on; you’re going to be okay.
- Dancers in the follower role have ultimate discretion about where and how their bodies move (e.g. bailing on a led spin or dip they find uncomfortable).
- Explaining moves to others during an event is discouraged. For more: Google search “No Dancesplaining Please”.
- Lifts and air steps (aerials) are never appropriate—and are considered really rude—on the “social dance floor,” no matter how far away bystanders are and no matter how awesome you are at the trick, including any moves where a body is supported so both feet are out of contact with the floor. These moves may ONLY be incorporated into a performance by practiced partners who have announced the performance, cleared the floor of bystanders to a safe distance as their own responsibility, and agreed to perform the moves entirely at their own risk (including the risk of the venue being unsuitable). Triangle Swing Dance Society is not responsible for any injuries that occur as a result of lifts or air steps, whether to the participants or to bystanders. Do not EVER surprise your partner with a lift or air step, regardless of your skill level or situation.
- Conduct, speech or expression of any kind that is derogatory or harassing is not acceptable. This includes, without limitation, any derogatory or harassing conduct, speech or expression on account of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, age, physical appearance, body size, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, or service in the armed forces. This includes any sexual or romantic advances that are lewd, discourteous, threatening, domineering, or that are repeated despite being unwelcome.
- Our events are not for consuming alcoholic beverages, being intoxicated, smoking, being high, sexual intimacy, or possessing weapons of any kind. C’mon, don’t do that here.
- Our events are not for doing anything that is illegal.
Violations of this code of conduct may be brought to the attention of the dance producer or a Board of Directors member. Here are some ways to contact them:
- The front desk volunteers at an event can help locate a producer or board member.
- Board members are listed on http://bullcityswingout.com/meet-the-staff/
- Many are reachable after the dance by Facebook Messenger.
- The organization leadership can be emailed at Bullcityswingout@gmail.com
The producer or board members may take any action that they deem appropriate in their sole discretion (e.g. immediate expulsion with no refund).